Slept like a dead rock…

I arrived at the park to umpire yesterday shortly after 8am for a 9am start. The diamonds were quite a ways from the parking lot, bad planning on someone’s part, I guess. It was a cool morning, a few clouds and a nice breeze.

I umpired the first game behind the plate. Both the first and second games were pretty good and I had about an hour between games.

The third game it had gotten hot and the wind had died down to almost nothing. It was going well and looked like it should have been a mercy for the visiting team, they were up by 11 or 12 runs in the 5th inning, but, bad defence and lackluster pitching allowed the home team to come back and only be down by 8 or so, forcing a 6th inning.

At this point, I was ready to go home. Totally ready. My feet were killing me.

So, we play the 6th, the home team scored a few more runs and were only down by 4 or so. I was hopeful that the time limit was up – NOPE. Who the hell decides that no new inning starts after 2 hours and 30 minutes? That’s way too long for a 7 inning minor baseball game and it’s ridiculous. No one wants to play that long, and I don’t want to umpire that long, either.

So, we go to the 7th inning. I opened up the strike zone, I don’t think anyone was complaining. Swing the bat kid, otherwise you’re going back to the bench.

The game finally ended after about 2 hours and 45 minutes. Sigh.

Now, a long walk back to my truck with feet that felt like stubs. It took me what seemed like forever to undress and get into comfortable clothes for the 2.5 hour drive home. I must be insane to drive that far to umpire, at the vert least, I am insane for umpiring two triple headers to open the season.

I stopped at Okotoks for a bite to eat and to change into my slippers. My feet were relieved. I decided to head south on highway 2 as opposed to driving down highway 22. I had arranged for the dogs to stay over until this morning but then figured since I needed to clean the truck anyway (Hera was in it on Thursday so it needed to be vacuumed), I would see if they were ok with me picking them up on the way home – yep, no problem. I stopped at a gas station to get a little bottle of 5 Hour Energy as I was dozing off while driving which isn’t any fun at all.

I collected the dogs and headed home – I think we will all glad to be back. I had a nice cool shower and crashed. I went to bed about 11pm and was asleep less than 5 minutes later and slept, like a dead rock, for 6.5 hours. Not bad at all.

Today, my feet feel fine, I am walking almost normally. My back and legs are a bit sore, my massager will help with that.

Remind me to not accept two triple headers in baseball, ever.

About kdarcy21

Well, this is my BLOG, so, read the BLOG !!!
This entry was posted in Personal. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s