I finally got a hold of someone at Customer Relations at Chrysler. He was friendly enough, answered some of my questions and directed some others back to the service manager at Eastside Chrysler. I will NOT speak with that man again, he’s arrogant and I don’t think he has any idea of what customer service is. So, I got the name and number of the general manager and will be speaking with him.
So, not too surprised that Chrysler has said that they will not honour the warranty as it isn’t a manufacturers issue, it is my fault.
The next step I guess is going through CANVAP (http://www.canvap.ca) who is an independent organization that offers binding arbitration. It is free which is good. I may or may not win – guess time will tell. I have to do some research for when I have my hearing.
In the meantime, it has been suggested that I pay for the repair myself as this process could take some time to resolve. So, I will be in contact with the bank on Tuesday to see if I can pay out my loan on the vehicle and take out an extra ten grand or so to pay for the repair.
I do know a mechanic in Calgary and I am going to ask for some advice from him. I am not sure if I should look for a used engine or just go with new. I am a little apprehensive of getting a used engine. I suppose though, it was a used vehicle to start with… If I could find a Jeep that was totalled from the back, maybe I can save some bucks.
At any rate, I hope to have my Jeep back by the end of the month – I think that’s reasonable. Please, wish me some luck with the arbitration process – I need some…